Thursday, September 1, 2011

"You're an inspiration..."

I hear that at least twice a week from various individuals. Every time I hear it now it makes me smile, but I didn't always react that way at first. Accepting compliments has not been easy for me. I would always respond with a "thank you, but...". What follows the 'but' was always something negative, my way of ignoring the positive. What I lacked was self-confidence and a belief that I could accomplish great things. I am happy to say that I my self-confidence has dramatically improved, but it is still a work in progress. Now I respond with a "thank you!" and no 'but' on the end.

When I began my weight loss journey, being an inspiration to others was the furthest thing from my mind. I never imagined that would happen. Heck, I was just trying to do one more rep or walk for 5 more minutes. Somewhere along the way I did become an inspiration to others, let's call that a happy little accident. I have noticed that through my posts on Facebook, pictures, and "appearances" in the gym I have inspired more people to either begin their own journey, whatever that may look like, or put the pedal to the medal on their current journey. Knowing that I am helping others just by doing what I need to do to help myself, is inspiring to me. I always tell my Zumba class that we have a symbiotic relationship; I motivate them every class to give it their all and provide them with a great workout and in turn they keep me accountable. Slacking is not an option. Those individuals who tell me that I am inspiring to them make me want to do more, they make me want to train harder, add more push ups or planks, run for just one more mile, or sign up for one more 5K. So "thank you" again to all of those who have said I am inspiration to them because you inspire me as well!! Love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment