Sunday, August 28, 2011

Reflecting on the wonderful people and things in my life.

"The life we waste everyday because we want a better one or because we are never satisfied with it, is the life that many wish and yearn to have and would give everything to have it." I read those words in an article on CNN about living on the trash dumps in Mozambique. The author Jose Ferreira was photographing life at the trash dumps (you can read the article here: http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/08/27/Mozambique.trash.city/index.html?&hpt=hp_c2).

Those words really moved me and made me think about how fortunate I am. Actually, I've been thinking a lot about that topic lately and how blessed I am in many aspects of my life. I can't tell you how often I've bitched about certain things in my life on Facebook and complained when things don't go my way. FML has often appeared at the end of such posts. Why do we complain? Why do we constantly bitch about not getting what we want. Why can't I look at all the wonderful things in my life when I feel the urge to complain?

Truth is, I am truly blessed. I have an amazing and supportive family that loves me no matter what and parents who would do anything for me. I have a wonderful sister that looks to me for guidance and is my first best friend. I have an adorable nephew that is incredibly bright and the cutest and sweetest little boy in the world. I have the greatest husband in the world who supports me in every decision I make and who is truly my soulmate. I am blessed to have my bestest friend in the world and although she is thousands of miles away, I can always text her when I'm feeling down and she always cheers me up. She, along with my husband and family, always remind me of my talents and accomplishments. I have a wonderful group of friends that are always there for me. I am blessed with intelligence and determination that have enabled me to obtain my bachelors and masters degrees and am now able to work toward my PhD. I have 3 jobs...and I am so grateful in this economy to have multiple jobs. I am respected at school and I have faculty and colleagues who truly want to see me succeed. I am so excited that I can work out at the gym on a nearly daily basis and have been able to accomplish many of my fitness goals...the remainder I will accomplish shortly :)

Most importantly, I have many clothes, a fully stocked fridge, and a roof over my head. I don't have to sleep on the street or in my car and I don't have to search for food in the trash. I mention all of the things that I am thankful for in my life as a reminder to myself that I am truly blessed and fortunate. So, the next time I feel like posting FML or bitching about stupid things I am going to remember that quote above and the many wonderful things and people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment